Dear Grumpo,
My wife and I are buying our first home. What kind of tax breaks can we utilize?
The Tax Man Cometh

Dear Tax Man,
Is the name of this column “The Grumpy Beancounter?” I am not qualified to give tax advice, so you really need to take this up with a CPA or tax lawyer.
I know that if you own and occupy your home you can itemize property taxes as well as interest paid on the mortgage. You can probably even get away with deducting the points and prepaid interest you make during the actual purchase. But in the end, it seems like no two cases are ever the same. That’s
why you should take questions like these to a tax professional. You’ve gotta be super careful when dealing with the IRS. That’s how they got Al Capone, ya know.